Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Dance Floor Reflections: Memorial Day Alegria


This weekend I indulged in some circuit-style debauchery and attended Memorial Day Alegria. Much fun was had. Mostly the kind of stuff someone with as lady-like a reputation as myself would hardly admit to in mixed company. (Riding an anonymous daddy’s back for the duration of “Bad Romance,” Spitting water in Giggles McPartytime’s face when I tired of a seemingly endless story he was telling me – that kind of stuff.) But infantile adult-Rave antics aside, dancing all night intoxicated to whatever degree provides for some interesting “moments of clarity.” Here, numbered for easy reading, are a few philosophical gems fresh from the dance-floor at the world infamous PACHA Night Club.
1.Discussing the break-up of two scene queens, the less gainfully employed school teacher kicking the wealthy doctor to the curb after repeated arguments over “who pays,” I shook my head regretfully and solemnly aphorized: “Pride is inimical to happiness… ”
2. Taking note of the incalculable number of guys who have a baseball cap on wherever they go effectively “hanging the hat,” pardon the pun, of their physical presence on a “New York Mets” cap or somesuch, and how frighteningly cute I myself look in such head-wear, for a whole fifteen minutes, I was overcome with the fear that I am always just a backwards cap away from a completely different and frighteningly alien persona … “A Hat Personality!”
2a. When my friend, E.T. shows up looking devastatingly adorable in a perfectly askew baseball cap completely uncharacteristic of his mild-mannered, Ivy educated legal professional image, I share my fear with him allowing for the implication that he had drank the “hat personality” Kool-Aid. “But it’s so CONTINGENT,” he opined. I gave a sigh of relief. No Kool-Aid breath. Someone understood. Within 15 minutes, I am trying on the baseball cap and feeling exquisitely unlike myself.
3. I hear a guy tell his boyfriend he loves him over the music and, you know what? Perhaps it was the vacant, monotone way the guy said it, but I didn’t believe him.
4. Promises are usually just lies waiting to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment